Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Surprise radiation detected

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sonicmixmaster Posted - 08/23/2018 : 15:20:22
So after working out many quirks with my 600+ model I felt confident to test it out "in the field" at work starting this week on Wednesday. My work week starts Wednesday and ends Sunday so I have been taking the detector with me to work each night and monitoring readings while having the detector in my work pants side pocket. Although I do not want to say where I work at this time I did visit my friends for lunch after work today and was very surprised when my detector went nuts!!!

Take a look at the image below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p4l0ih4qifzjyx/20180823_151308.jpg?dl=0

It turns out that the tiles in my friends bathroom are radioactive. I was getting beeps standing in the bathroom by the sink washing my hands before I eat. The bathroom is covered with radioactive tiles on all walls but ceiling and floor did not show any high readings. The detector went off when it was about 2 feet from the ceramic/radioactive tile wall. What do you guys think?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PKIDelirium Posted - 10/10/2019 : 11:06:26
I'm betting that the reddish hue is from uranium oxide. Obviously not as high a reading as you'd get from old red pottery and ceramics that used it, but enough register.
Sonicmixmaster Posted - 10/09/2019 : 16:42:16
The color you see is true color. I am not sure if it has the uranium oxide. In the near future I will go to another friend of mine and test their granite counter top and see what I get.
PKIDelirium Posted - 10/06/2019 : 12:47:33
Am I seeing a reddish tint on the tiles, or is that the photo? Might be some uranium oxide in there, like old Fiestaware.
Damien68 Posted - 10/03/2019 : 22:45:58
now, before going to piss at friends, it's better to be equipping with his dosimeter. :)
are your tiles for sale? :-)
Searinox Posted - 10/03/2019 : 01:00:12
That's quite the uranium/thorium content there!
Sonicmixmaster Posted - 08/24/2018 : 06:55:43
The tiles been in the house for 40-50 years as I was told by my friends. Will test the materials you said in the future and post back. Thanks.
ullix Posted - 08/23/2018 : 22:57:14
1599CPM is quite a nice clip! What name, brand and origin are the tiles, and where can I buy them for my tests? ;-)

This seems to be a lot and I have a hard time believing that such stuff is sold. I would verify that the counter is giving reasonable values when tested against some more familiar source. I recommend using KCl. Get at least a pound of it, and bring it as close to the Geiger tube as possible. Should give you near 150'CPM. Explained in Potty Training here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/GeigerLog-Potty%20Training%20for%20Your%20Geiger%20Counter-v1.0.pdf/download

Some further tests: Put some beta absorbers between tiles and counter to see if this is mostly beta or mostly gamma radiation. Beta absorbers like e.g. >3mm glass or aluminum, >2mm steel or copper, >100 sheets of copy paper

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000