Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Geigerlog GMC-500+ error

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n8xyn Posted - 04/12/2018 : 12:55:05
I can not connect to the counter although USB Autodiscovery finds it correctly. I edited the configuration file to reflect it's actual address and baud. The odd part is I can connect if I select GMC-300E Plus. I can't retrieve any "real" data with that selection. I switched to the GMC_500 once after the connection, it did collect correct data but I haven't been able to repeat that. Any idea's ?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ullix Posted - 04/23/2018 : 01:00:37
I think this qualifies as good news when it runs so well that you have to look twice to distinguish it from a natively compiled program ;-)
n8xyn Posted - 04/22/2018 : 11:29:00
oops! just occurred to me it's written in python and should run as is, I'm going to give it a try ;-)
n8xyn Posted - 04/22/2018 : 11:26:47
One more thought, have you considered compiling this to run on a Raspberry pi? That way it could run on a dedicated machine 24/7 for under $50. The pi user community is huge and would take this every imaginable direction :-)
n8xyn Posted - 04/22/2018 : 07:18:27
Thanks for all the help, I uninstalled "everything" then downloaded and reinstalled it all again and this time perfect! This is really nicely done and I just want to thank you. I'm thinking the reason I cant get it to work in Linux is because I have no USB 2.0 ports, only 3.0 and 3.1 . If I try the USB 3.0 on the Windows machine it fails there also. I have an internal header for 2.0 on my NUC which is my Linux box so I'll order a lid with USB 2.0 ports and report back. This software is light years ahead of the manufacturers program.
ullix Posted - 04/16/2018 : 06:09:31
@Jim: I found it possible to post pictures in the *.png format, but not in the *.jpg format.

That error is very strange, as the first line should be just ignored by Windows; it appears as a comment. Some inadvertent changes to the file? Perhaps download again to be sure. Can you provide the full text that was output to the terminal?

@the_mike: yepp, and take advantage of people dumb enough to spend their time developing geiger logging software, and other people testing it ;-))

n8xyn Posted - 04/15/2018 : 14:59:32
I decided to try on my windows 7 machine where I have USB 2.0 ports and the supplied software works correctly. I've read the pdf for geigerlog and installed python but when I try to run geigerlog I get a syntax error in line one. I have a screen capture attached. Oh I just discovered I cant post a screed shot :-)

python c:\geigerlog\geigerlog -d

file "c:geigerlog\geigerlog",line 1

the_mike Posted - 04/15/2018 : 05:24:36
@ullix

I'd even go further, and also ask to make the GMC-firmware opensource under eg. an apache or MIT-license (so they don't lose everything). These devices can/could do good, but only with open specs AND open firmware so errors can be fixed (without needing to wait for a company eg. publishing new firmwares for outdated devices aso)...
ullix Posted - 04/15/2018 : 03:51:15
@Distelzombie: can't leave the impression that GeigerLog is not working :-)

But a well managed forum looks differently for sure. There should be more people pressing GQ/ZLM for coming out with relevant details of their counters. What on earth does it hurt them to have software that works? The sales of their dismal dataviewer can't be the reason?
Distelzombie Posted - 04/14/2018 : 13:28:14
Ullix, you're stealing ZLMs work! XD
I'm glad about that. He is not on very often. Try asking for Moderator rights to delete these pesky spam threads and replies. :)
the_mike Posted - 04/14/2018 : 11:26:26
Hey,
had a similar issue with my 500... (both on mint18.3 and win7 (also on a win10-test-machine)

try to do 4-5 factory-resets, and check again; if no solution, unload the battery, load it again... If still no change, contact support, a firmware-update may solve the issue
(i was able to temporarily recover the 500 "torturing" it the way mentioned above, but in the end, a firmware-update was the only solution)...

good luck! :)
ullix Posted - 04/13/2018 : 23:17:16
My apologies, I just realized that the last released GeigerLog version 0.9.05 does not have the -R option yet :-/

In that case the 'geigerlog.proglog' file must suffice. However, it would not capture any Python errors going to std.err. Therefor start from a terminal with 'geigerlog -dv' and watch for traceback output on error. That stuff would also be needed. Sounds like there would be something in your case.

USB3 not working? Hmm. I am running my GMC300e on both USB2 and USB3 equally well. I suppose the USB-to-Serial chip is the same on 300 and 500 series. With lsusb I get: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter. You got a different one?

Any obscure BIOS settings you must set?
n8xyn Posted - 04/13/2018 : 11:23:20
I think the issue is hardware and not software. The machine I'm wanting to use it on only has usb 3.0 ports and no 2.0 ports. I tried it with the gmc data logger software on a usb 3.0 port and it fails there also but does fine on a 2.0 port. I'm assuming the onboard device isn't usb 3.0 compatible.
n8xyn Posted - 04/13/2018 : 11:07:18
It didn't create the file, I tried several times. Do I need to do something before closing it?
ullix Posted - 04/13/2018 : 00:50:15
Very strange, since connecting to the 500 definitively works. I need to see a debug log file. Please, do this:

- start GeigerLog with this command: geigerlog -dvR
- it will create a chatty log file 'geigerlog.stdlog'
- go to https://pastebin.com/ and paste the content of this file (set Paste Expiration to 1 or 2 weeks)
- note the url of the created paste
- and post it here

Can't imagine that Mint will be an issue
n8xyn Posted - 04/12/2018 : 13:14:01
Forgot to add I'm running Miny 18.3. that's kind of important.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000