Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 320 Plus v4.09 and now v4.20 bug report topic

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nisei Posted - 11/02/2015 : 14:47:49
Not sure if this can be made a sticky but it could come in handy for the developers as well since all bugs get reported in one place.
Below you can find the bugs I've come across so far. If you know of any firmware bugs as well then please post them here.

My list so far:

Display Option:
Contrast setting below 20 gets reset to 20 after powering off the unit. Values above 20 do stay in memory though.

LED color:
In normal mode, LED color changes from green to red when CPM gets above 50.
However, if this happens in power saving mode the LED stays green.

Power Saving mode & Motion Detection:
On page 17 of the manual under the Power Saving Mode chapter it says: “The unit movement does not wake up the unit if the motion detection is ON”
Well, it does. If the unit is in power saving mode and I pick it up, the display comes on and it starts ticking again. This should only happen if you press a key to wake the unit.

Motion Detection:
When backlight timer has kicked in (let’s say after 10 seconds), the display often turns on again if there is high CPM. It looks like motion detection is so sensitive that the speaker is able to make enough vibration to turn the backlight on again.
It would be nice if the user can set the sensitivity of the motion detector.

Feature request:
When in power saving mode, you need to press a button to wake the unit. However, it also goes straight to the function of the button you press. It would be better if the first button press would only wake the unit and NOT take you to the function it normally would. For example: if the unit is in power saving mode and you press the “down arrow” key to wake the unit, it immediately changes from CPM to uSv/h. The first button press should only wake the unit, not change a function.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ZLM Posted - 04/23/2017 : 23:41:32
Nisei, all those 3 bugs have been fixed. Please contact support.
Distelzombie Posted - 04/23/2017 : 11:39:22
well, Im happy that the ySv/h finally are correct and that the timed count works now. I dont really care that i have to press the on button 5s or 3. I dont see any bugs except maybe the saved history being chronologically incorrect. That could be a problem with the data logger software though.

I've send an email to them with about 10 Bugs in the data logger software but never recieved an answer. I dont care anymore because the program from ullix is already better than this, even though it doesnt work correctly either. (Or I use the version i made from ullix program If i want graphs)
Nisei Posted - 04/23/2017 : 03:26:33
It's a shame GQ doesn't listen to their customers.

ZLM's response 1.5 years ago:
Thank you for all the firmware bugs you reported. We are sure will check those things.
I think all bugs and feature requests are valid and reasonable. We will add/fix those bugs/features in the future firmware release.

Why are they saying this when in reality they don't do anything at all? The 4.20 firmware is even worse than the 4.09 I used to have.
Why do we have to press the on/off switch for almost 5 seconds to turn the unit on? I believe that was around 3 seconds with v4.09
Distelzombie Posted - 02/07/2017 : 19:20:39
Theres also still no change to CPS if the CPM go over 65535. Please include this in the next firmware. Its a work of 10 minutes or less!
Nisei Posted - 02/06/2017 : 06:37:19
Version 4.20
Display contrast setting below 20 now gets saved when turned off BUT only the number that is being displayed. The actual contrast of the display seems to revert to something like 25!!!
LED still stays green when in power saving mode even if CPM gets way above 50
Waking the unit from power saving mode by pressing a button still takes you straight to that function instead of just waking the unit.
It's been over a year now since I've posted these bugs and I just went from 4.09 to 4.20
Are these bugs finally going to be fixed or what?
Nisei Posted - 02/04/2017 : 14:50:35
Thanks Distelzombie and ZLM.
But why do I have to email asking for an update?
Can't you guys just post the latest firmware in the download section?
ZLM Posted - 07/06/2016 : 06:53:58
Nisei: please write the email to support@gqelectronicsllc.com.
Distelzombie Posted - 07/06/2016 : 06:33:53
Are you sure? I can update my GMC 300 to a way higher version number and I bought it about 8 month ago.
You have to email them.
Nisei Posted - 07/02/2016 : 08:40:17
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM
I think all bugs and feature requests are valid and reasonable. We will add/fix those bugs/features in the future firmware release.
Thanks.

Does it really have to take this long to fix a few simple bugs?
It's been 8 months now and we still didn't get a firmware upgrade.
Nisei Posted - 07/02/2016 : 08:37:03
I didn't actually calibrate it but I've used the known conversion rate for this tube (175) to enter the correct values into the calibration table.
quote:
Originally posted by PetrovskiNice modification. Did you calibrate the device after placing the SBM-20? If yes, with what test source?

Peter
Petrovski Posted - 04/05/2016 : 12:23:56
quote:
Originally posted by Nisei

quote:
Originally posted by Distelzombie

Wich one are going to install? A sbt11a?

No, just an SBM-20. I've cut away most of the plastic grill covering the tube and now the + side of the tube is exposed and can be accidentally touched. An SBM-20 is longer so the clips can be moved to the most outer positions on the board. I know I won't gain much sensitivity wise but I also like the fact that the SBM-20 is not made of fragile glass. It's a bit more rugged.

Image Insert:

190.89 KB

quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

The user guide page changed to: The unit movement does not weak up the unit if the motion detection is OFF.

So now what's the difference between the Motion Detect settings "On Backlight" and "On Backlight & DisplayMode"?
You've solved it the easy way by changing the manual but in my opinion the settings should do the following:

"On Backlight" should turn on the backlight when motion is detected after the set time for the backlight timer. (and NOT wake the unit when it's in power saving mode).

"On Backlight & DisplayMode" should wake the unit and turn on the backlight when motion is detected after the unit has gone into power saving mode.

As far as I can see there is no difference between those 2 settings as it is now. Both settings turn on the backlight and wake the unit.
Or am I missing something?

Nice modification. Did you calibrate the device after placing the SBM-20? If yes, with what test source?

Peter
ThatGuy Posted - 12/30/2015 : 02:58:39
I can't say much to the reported bugs since I've only just got mine, but I second the notion for the feature request so the first button hit in power savings mode would only wake the counter and not take any other action.
Distelzombie Posted - 12/03/2015 : 07:25:06
quote:
As far as I can see there is no difference between those 2 settings as it is now. Both settings turn on the backlight and wake the unit.

It would make sense if your power saving mode is in both cases on.
But I don't see a need for two settings either. If PS is on movement wakes the unit and lights up, if PS is off it just lights up. There's no need for a dark display (Hwo would want that?), so I'd say there's no need for a second setting.
Nisei Posted - 12/03/2015 : 00:20:38
quote:
Originally posted by Distelzombie

No, just an SBM-20. I've cut away most of the plastic grill covering the tube and now the + side of the tube is exposed and can be accidentally touched. An SBM-20 is longer so the clips can be moved to the most outer positions on the board. I know I won't gain much sensitivity wise but I also like the fact that the SBM-20 is not made of fragile glass. It's a bit more rugged.

Image Insert:

190.89 KB

quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

The user guide page changed to: The unit movement does not weak up the unit if the motion detection is OFF.

So now what's the difference between the Motion Detect settings "On Backlight" and "On Backlight & DisplayMode"?
You've solved it the easy way by changing the manual but in my opinion the settings should do the following:

"On Backlight" should turn on the backlight when motion is detected after the set time for the backlight timer. (and NOT wake the unit when it's in power saving mode).

"On Backlight & DisplayMode" should wake the unit and turn on the backlight when motion is detected after the unit has gone into power saving mode.

ZLM Posted - 12/01/2015 : 21:01:23
Distelzombie Posted - 12/01/2015 : 06:45:58
Nisei Posted - 12/01/2015 : 05:39:19
Thanks for the reply ZLM. I'm glad to hear you're seriously considering fixing these bugs.

@Distelzombie
I haven't yet used it for timed counting. First I will put in a different tube and then I'll do some experiments.
Distelzombie Posted - 11/25/2015 : 10:52:12
Yeah... At least ZLM is replying sometimes. I'd love to see it become open source. But that would not happen, I think.
The first thing I would do is make it change to CPS if it reaches 65k CPM and make the ySv/h show correctly.

How does the 320 behave if you make a timed count? Does the numbers show logically correct? Like the average CPM and average ySv/h. My numbers change too much, they're probably not average but current.
ZLM Posted - 11/25/2015 : 10:42:56
I do not know why I missed your post for a such long time. Sorry about that.

Thank you for all the firmware bugs you reported. We are sure will check those things.

Thanks.

Nisei Posted - 11/25/2015 : 01:41:40
Thanks for the total lack of response!
I'd also sent this list to support before I posted on the forums and didn't get any reply either.
If you aren't willing to fix basic things and regularly update the firmware then please make it open source.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000