Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Sbt11a tube doesn't go over 6k cpm. Voltage?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Distelzombie Posted - 05/03/2016 : 11:32:02
Hi

I recently modified my 300+ with a sbt11a tube. I have a sample of uranium ore and the old tube measured about 80k cpm on it. (used app to go around the 65535 cpm limitation of the GQ GMCs.)
Now, I measured the same sample with my sbt11a tube and it stops at about 6-7k cpm. I expected it to go much much higher then the M4011 tube since it can also detect alpha radiation.
Is this a problem with voltage? Usually the 300+ doesn't need to be changed. It uses the same range of volts as the M4011.

What's wrong?

Thanks. :)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Distelzombie Posted - 05/16/2016 : 15:07:46
OK I solved it. Even though I had no way to measure the voltage because my multimeter is dead. (RIP)
Fortunately, the little piezo speaker is beeping constantly with a specific frequency depending on the voltage going to the tube. That helped me deciding the right position of the little turn screw thing on the board.
Tone goes down while increasing the voltage, which is counter intuitive. I tested out max and minimum voltage while measuring a source (max means either constant detection of nothing or the same as -> min means dead silent tube.) and then chose a tone in the upper mid.

Anyway, after increasing the voltage I got a useful reading of about 73,000 cpm. (65535 + ~7420)

I would love to know the ySv/h. But I did not got a solution to the suddenly dropping ySv/h after the third calibration point yet.

I hope this helps anyone. :D

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000